James Pickens is an associate specializing in the protection of intellectual property. James drafts agreements to facilitate a wide range of transactions for companies that design and sell intellectual property (“IP”) assets, from songs to software. James also works with software developers to launch and grow their businesses according to a strategic plan for IP investment, protection, and enforcement.
James began his career with Reed Smith LLP, where he represented record labels, film distribution companies, and clients in the interactive entertainment and digital media industries. Among his accomplishments, James successfully facilitated the purchase and sale of a music catalog and a merger involving a prominent eSports company.
James has defended his clients’ intellectual property in many high stakes proceedings in federal court. He also helped the prominent Taiwanese chipset manufacturer, VIA, successfully enforce its trade secrets against ASUS following their misappropriation. James also has extensive experience in mediation and arbitration before the AAA and JAMS.
James earned his law degree from UCLA School of Law, and he is certified in their program for Entertainment, Media, and Intellectual Property. He earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in English from Georgetown University.
- Order of the Coif, UCLA School of Law
- Fred & Mary Leydorf Scholar, UCLA School of Law
- Dean’s Scholarship, UCLA School of Law
- Dean’s Award (Best Performance) in Copyright Law, UCLA School of Law
- Dean’s Award (Best Performance) in Business Associations, UCLA School of Law
- Phi Beta Kappa, Georgetown University
- Magna Cum Laude, Georgetown University
- State Bar of California
- Admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Northern and Central Districts of California, the Eastern District of Texas, the District of Colorado, and the District of Massachusetts
GO TO VIDEO GAMES
- Starcraft 2
- Super Smash Bros. Melee
- NBA 2K
- Ocarina of Time
- Star Wars: KOTOR
- Star Wars: Tie Fighter (1995)